Thursday 3 November 2011

Here comes the sun! Try a Lotus umbrella

The perfect matte block
I like this product by the Lotus Herbals Safe Sun range for only one reason - its called the 3 in one matte look daily sunblock and it really lives up to being a matte look sun screen.
I've tried the SPF 40 UVB version which is suitable for all skin types. I obviously wouldn't use it when I'm out in the sun for a very long time - the kind of sun you are likely to experience at the Maldives or say Goa. This is a perfect everyday use sun screen when you know you're not in the sun for more than 2 hours.
The product promises sun protection, skin lightening and a matte effect and based on my experience it delivers excellently on the 3rd promise. The skin lightening effects are not rapid enough for me to notice how its working. Sun protection like I said , I would not experiment with this product under direct harsh sunlight. Works perfect if I have to zip out for a drive in the sun, hit the super market, come back home and then step out again. It won't work if I'm at the beach or by the pool or in it all day. In case you're a only one sun screen at a time kind of girl, then I would recommend frequent re application - it doesn't build up on your skin and its easy to apply.
Cost - INR 295 ( 6 USD approx)
What I like about it - the even toned matte look it creates, easy to apply - thats just perfect when you're on the go, feels so light.
Flip side - requires frequent application, though its good hygiene for all sun screens I'm lazy
Rating - 3/5

Ingredients as mentioned on the packaging 
My research
I'm only going to try and attempt to explain the chemical sounding ingredients, you obviously don't want to read about "water" and "glycerin". Where I don't find information, I can't write much about that ingredient, the objective of this is to help you understand my experience.
So here goes

  • Kaolin : this is used asAbrasive; Absorbent; Anticaking Agent; Bulking Agent; Opacifying Agent; Skin Protectant;Slip Modifier
  • Oxybenzone : sunscreen ingredient associated with photo allergic reactions
  • Methoxycinnamate : found in sun screen products it acts as a Ultraviolet Light Absorber; UV absorber or a UV filter 
  • Titanium dioxide : used in sun screen products as a UV absorber or a sun screen agent 
  • Butyl Methoxydibenoylmethane : used in sunscreen products as a sunscreen agent; Ultraviolet Light Absorber; UV Absorber ; UV filter
  • Cyclopentasiloxane : skin conditioning agent 
  • Phenoxyethanol : used as a fragrant ingredient or a preservative
  • Methylparaben : used as a fragrant ingredient or a preservative ( this isn't a typo or repetition it really does this according to my secondary source) 
  • Propylparaben : used as a fragrance ingredient, perfuming, preservative
  • Methylchloroisothiazolinone :  widely used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions ( I did not face any allergic reactions !) 
  • Methylisothiazolinone :  widely used preservative
  • Iron Oxides : Cosmetic colorants ( this products looks like a regular foundation lotion) 
Aha! Now I see how it lasts for nearly 4 years!!! My pack was manufactured in Jan 2011 and I can use it all the way upto Jan 2014

0 comments:

Post a Comment